Monday, August 11, 2008

Beginners golf: online videos as best training solution

I have started to play golf last year and since then tried to learn the basics so to feel comfortable on the course. I did not find it easy and requiring a lot of practice and learning. On the other hand golf is nowadays one of the activities I like the most. It is simply a great experience.

I did attend a "golf for beginners" course at Tammergolf in Tampere (Finland) right at the start. The course lasted about 2 weeks with 5 sessions. It provided some basic introduction to the rules and basics of golf but I must say that it did not really teach me much. I don't think it was good value for the money. At the end of the course I could swing pretty much as well (or as poorly) as at the beginning but at least it gave me the chance to understand that I liked it.

I then went into the internet and looked for books and other material that I could use to learn more. I picked up a couple of books that turned out quite difficult to use for basic technique training. I turned then to videos.Videos are the best solution for me.

There is plenty of videos online that aim at giving basic golf training, some are good and some are not. The good ones are quite valuable as you can watch them when you want, at the speed you want and as many time as you need. You can concentrate on the different aspect of things like the swing, learn them and then go and put them into practice.

After some amount of searching and screening, I have been consistently following the videos from Shawn Clement on Youtube. He has posted more than 100 of them and they are all of excellent quality, covering most of the aspects of playing golf. I do certainly recommend those videos to anyone who has recently started playing and to people who are looking for things to improve in their game.

Most recently I have purchased Shawn's DVD series and I am now in the process again of going through my game to reach the next development level. This is really fun! More on this process soon on new posts.

No comments: